Re: Got the Head off!!!! Check out the Pics.

To: Andy Cost <andycost@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: Got the Head off!!!! Check out the Pics.
From: Ronnie Day <rday@hot.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 17:08:11 -0600
> Andy

> If you are going to sand on the piston you should remove it from the motor.
> You don't want all that aluminum powder going into the motor.  I've had a
> Kawasaki and a roadster motor run for a long time with beat up pistons.
> Both had dents where the PO installed spark plugs that were a little too
> long.  I didn't seem to notice any detonation because of the gouges.  A
> concern might be that a crack could form around the rough edges.

Since the dings don't appear to be too close to the edge of the piston do
you think he might be able to use a sanding drum on a Dremel and a heavy
duty shop vac with a 1 1/4 hose to suck up the "dust"? I'd just as soon not
have the sharp edges sticking up in the chamber. With the piston at or near
TDC you could maybe stick thin cardboard or thick paper between the piston
and the cylinder. That would help keep crud from between the two.

Unless they'd been replaced recently, I think I'd also replace at least both
timing chains and, depending on their condition, the gears. You've already
got it apart. The chains should be around $100. Not sure on the gears.

FWIW,
Ron