Re: Public thank you!

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Public thank you!
From: Ronnie Day <rday@hot.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 21:42:33 -0500
> Greg Burrows:

> Second, to Gary Boone.  I have been running a "Boone style" distributor that a
> friend and I put together years ago, creating and guessing as we did it, since
> 1988.  When a recent dyno run showed some major timing problems, I decided to
> send it off to Gary... glad I did.  It was a mess.  What I got back was
> EXACTLY what I asked for:  A distributor that I could run at 20 degrees
> initial with 12 degrees advance built in, for a total of 32 degrees.  The car
> responds off the line (big carbs like lots of initial advance) pulls like a
> champ, and even with 11.7 to 1 compression I am not knocking at all (I may
> even be able to run just 92 octane gas, or at least mix in a lot less race
> gas).  No dyno run yet, but I know it is much stronger and smoother.  The
> distributor came back to me looking like new, professionally done and worth
> every penny.  So thanks Gary, you did me right!  Now, off to the dyno!

Greg,

A word of caution. Now that you've got it running strong, be careful. Just
because you can't hear knocking doesn't mean it's not there. It's great if
you can run that much advance with that kind of compression, but 92 octane
might be a stretch. On the other hand even with that kind of static
compression ratio, if you're running a very healthy cam with quite a bit of
overlap, your "working" C/R is effectively much lower.

FWIW,
Ron