Re: testing engine on frame

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>, "Tim Waltz"
Subject: Re: testing engine on frame
From: <limprod@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 11:45:54 -0800
Last year, out of the blue, I ran across someone that was selling a
1600 engine.  The owner had mounted the complete engine set up on a
flatbed push dolly (mesh deck cart). Fabricated rails and a cut out in
the dolly's mesh flat top let the engine sit on top much like it is
suppose to in a car and made allowances for oil pan access.  The
radiator bracket,actually the push handle of the cart, also held a
panel for the gauges and switches.

I never found out the motivation behind the elaborate set up aside
from some serious peaking and tweaking or perhaps some teaching aid.
All it really needed was a differential and it would've been the
fastest dolly that I have n/ever seen.  I wish I had more details or
pictures for inspiration.  Although intended as a half meant joke at
the time, I remember sending pictures to a friend of mine. I will do
some digging around and send anything I find.

The set up I saw had a wide wheel base and seemed stable.   I would be
careful of center gravity.  Lots of rotational force and torque in a
running engine.  More important, I would be careful about spending too
much time/money on the cart and not your car.  =)  Unless resources
are unlimited, a project like that, if parts are not available in the
junk pile that the wife/GF or neighbors have repeatedly told you to
throw away, can get as costly as a car w/o trying.