Re: The key question is...

To: <limprod@comcast.net>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: The key question is...
From: Stan Chernoff <az589@lafn.org>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 07:19:03 -0800
On '69 cars the ignition switch lock took a different key than the other
locks.  Locksmiths can rekey the doors and trunk to what you want as long
as they take the same blank.  The stainless caps are crimped all the way
around on the original locks but locksmiths have/had replacements with
several fold over tabs.  Nicer to have the trunk and doors keyed alike.

Not too difficult to get into a convertible.

Stan
=====

At 06:20 AM 1/13/2004 -0800, limprod@comcast.net wrote:
>Did the cars come with 2 keys (ignition and doors) or a single one-opens-all
>key?
>
>My car (69 SRL) arrived without keys or ignition column.  The replacement
>column I acquired has a different blank even though it supposedly
>came from the same year.
>
>I pulled all the exterior lock cylinders with intentions of having them
>re-keyed by a locksmith however I gathered that they are sealed(?) with no
>option to change out the tumblers.  I found the stamped numbers so I can
>have a key made by a locksmith but I was hoping to have things keyed alike
>w/ the ignition.
>
>I also found out they are easy to pick open even with a 15 second formed
>paperclip and a bobbypin tensioner  [bad broadcast info but you know if
>"they" want to get inside, they will].   that kinda defeated the entire
>intent of even bothering with the locks and directs thoughts toward a
>(useless) car alarm instead.
>
>Since I gave up keeping things 100% stock I think I'll try to apply some
>locking solenoid (or deadbolted electric door lock if you will) that I found
>in my shop-The place where the thing you threw away went(tm) Oddly enough
my muse doing this would be to lock a theif