Re: Silicone Brake Fluid

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Silicone Brake Fluid
From: Thomas Walter <twalter@austin.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 19:58:25 -0600
Mike Adams was running Silicone Brake Fluid in his roadster.
He described the worst possible brake fade when driving across
the rockies. He never thought he would have a problem as he didn't
"race" his Datsun.

For "show only" cars, it is great. Especially ones stored
in a humidty controlled garage!

For the rest of us who drive our roadsters... one thing to
remember is moisture will still get in the system, but tends
to collect in the LOWEST places (bottom of the caliper and
wheel cylinders). Since the bleeders are at the top of the
cylinders (to release air), no easy way to get the water out
of the system. Not good for brakes.

Old brake fluid is a mess, but I still prefer flushing the
brake fluid every two years and using Castrol GT/LMA brake
fluid.

Even when poured slowly... man there were lots of air bubbles
in their. Used it on a WWII vintage Jeep... owner brings it out
of storage for July 4th parades, so made sense to use the
Silicone brake fluid.

Tom