Re: Silicone Brake Fluid

To: "Thomas Walter" <twalter@austin.rr.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Silicone Brake Fluid
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 08:28:51 -0500
I agree with Tom that even silicone needs to be bled as water will collect
but at a much slower rate. I flush my system out every 4 or 5 years and then
use the old stuff like Armorall to make my plastic and rubber bits shiny and
soft :)

Silicone fluids have also been greatly improved over the years and air
bubbles are far less.

To blame silicone brake fluid for brake fading problems is not fair.
Generally brake fade is caused when the rotors and pads or drums and shoes
get too hot and the friction material looses its effectiveness and a gas
layer then builds up. Rotors and drums are really giant heat sinks  - the
greater the mass the more heat they can tolerate which is why Porsches and
the like use such large rotors. Of course using racing pads would help too
as they can tolerate and work far better at elevated temperatures but are
lousy when cold.

If brake fluid was the problem the pedal would get real mushy from all the
moisuture in the brake fluid turning to steam. This can occur in glycol and
silicone systems. Because most people don't change their brake fluid
regularly the likelyhood of glycol systems boiling is greater than silicone
systems. In this regard it's a wash. I flush all the brakes of my other cars
every 2 years and the fluid is nice and clear.

I remember going through the Rockies 2x when I was younger and each time I
needed to use engine braking and the brakes to keep my speeds down. You
can't use your brakes continuously as it will overheat the brake system and
nothing will help.

Mike