Re: Overheating of '64 Revisited

To: The Hoovers <audela2@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Overheating of '64 Revisited
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 10:20:01 -0600 (CST)
Head gasket problem usually show up in two ways.

If you have really low compression on a cylinder and water or oil is being
blown out of the engine, or, two adjacent cylinders have really low
compression with all the the spark plugs out, but shows a much higher
compression when a sparkplug is installed in the other cylinders.

A blown head gasket usually takes some time to cause high engine
temperatures. I think you are safe to assume that your head gasket is not
the problem with overheating.

Any idea how far your head has been cut? When I bought my current car it
would run hot, but that went away when I replaced the head. (My old head
had been cut so far that the pistons had been lightly hitting the head
before I replaced it!

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor/Future planner, CS Dept,
University of Texas, 1 University Station C0500,Austin, Tx. 78712-1188 USA