Overheating of '64 Revisited

Subject: Overheating of '64 Revisited
From: "The Hoovers" <audela2@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 16:27:45 -0700
Thanks to the most excellent help of list members, at this time we're
concentrating on the distributor as being the cause of our problems.  This
is what we've done so far:

1. Check the cooling system; removed thermostat to see if overheating would
be slowed down any; it wasn't.

2. Check thermostat in hot water using thermometer. It started opening at
180, was completely open about 15 deg later.

3. Check temp gauge; removed filler cap & inserted candy thermometer;
monitored temp indicated on gauge & compared with thermometer; they were
pretty close.

4. Check timing chain/distributor; set piston #1 to TDC, removed dist cap.
Manually moved the engine back to see how long it would take for the rotor
to turn.  It took a good 20 deg, so we replaced the distributor with the
smog one that was most recently in the Roadster.  When we did this, the
engine turned right over but it got warm quickly, went well past 210 deg.
The same test showed about 10 deg rotation for the rotor to move.

5. Check compression; all were at 160 except for #3; it was 165.  No
difference from when we first checked it after the engine swap several
months ago.

Would it be safe to assume that we probably don't have a head gasket problem
that is causing the overheating?

Charlotte & Leonard Hoover
Phoenix, AZ
'64 SPL310 1500