Re: Alternator with built in regulator and clutch & clutch

To: Paul.J.Souza@kp.org
Subject: Re: Alternator with built in regulator and clutch & clutch
From: Steve Ehlers <stevenehlers@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 2002 09:45:42 -0600
Hi Paul ,
Daikin brand  pressure plates are  VERY Low quality ( JUNK in my opinion ).
The disc's are not that bad ,but still Not the quality of any late model Nissan
Factory
clutch disc .Most any line of clutch pressure plates are not the quality of
Nissan OEM ,
including all the so-called High Performance Pressure plates ,i.e.. Center Force
,
Advanced Clutch Technology ,Zoom ,etc. ... The main reason for this statement
I'm making revolves around the "clutch fingers".The factory OEM uses a chrome
coating for wear resistance where the throw out bearing pushes them .This is an
important feature because of the labor involved with replacement in our Sporty
Cars .
Not as much a factor on other Datsun / Nissan Race vehicles where only the trany
can be pulled for clutch work .The OEM manufacturers of clutches for Nissan
,over
the
years have Always had this feature for long life .It is not uncommon in our shop
to have pulled
clutches with over 150,000 miles and not have a wear problem in this area of OEM
p/plates ,
but we have seen many of the after market ,with fingers almost completely cut
through / off !
The only caveat to to this issue I have elaborated on ,has manifested in the
Lower Cost "Key Line"
parts that Nissan is selling to be more competitive in price with the after
market .DO BUY Any
Key line products for your car .If you are told they are the same , this is
untrue !We have seen a
Nissan 260 Z 2+2 clutch come in as a Daiken Brand .Nissan had depleted their
stock and for a
slow / low quantity moving part decided to sell the Cheap Version .
Also always use the 3 rivet style clutch .This is the higher clamping force
clutch made for the 2 liter .
As far as the GM Alternator with built in regulator issue ,please stay away from
Domestic car conversions.
In My opinion ,do Not Bastardize your Datsun .If you must change to this kind of
system ,many Nissan
conversions have been done with OEM Hitachi alternators .
Steve Ehlers
68 1600
69  2-Liter ( with solex )
73 510  2 dr "Brock Buster"