Timing issue

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Timing issue
From: "Jon and Maggie" <jm.rider@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 22:35:07 -0800
Allen,

First, your engine should start at anywhere between zero and 20 degrees before
TDC.  This being the case, It sounds like you are off significantly,
especially if you see marks on your piston(s).

It is really pretty easy to find TDC:  When you manually rotate your engine
(put a socket on the crank pulley bolt) to align the large timing mark of the
pulley to the marker on your timing cover, your #1 cylinder should have just
completed it's intake stroke so the intake valve should have just opened and
then closed.  You should be able to see this with the valve cover removed and
by noting which valve corresponds to the intake manifold to your carburetors.
Additionally,you can confirm that you're at TDC by removing your #1 plug and
carefully inserting a tool (such as a Phillips head screwdriver) until it
touches the piston.  As you manually rotate the engine, note the movement of
the screwdriver.  Do be careful that nothing is forced!  When you know that
you are definately sitting at TDC, you should also see that your rotor is
pointing to the contact of the distributor cap that corresponds to your #1
plug.  If, instead, it is 180 degrees off, remove and reinsert in the proper
configuration (as described above)

A very common mistake is to have the distributor inserted 180 degrees off.
This happens because the timing mark on the crank pulley actually rotates
around twice in the full cycle - once on the exhaust and once on the intake
stroke.

Additionally, did you remove the Overhead Cam when you did whatever you did?
If so, you actually may have it rotated 180 degrees out of phase.  This is
doable for a similar reason to the above.  This actually happened to me during
one of my unwanted head removals and kept me wondering and puzzling for about
4 hours before I finally figured it out.  The reason I bring this up is, as I
recall (and this was a long time ago - my 1st roadster), the symptoms were
very similar to yours.  I could get it to start but it ran like hell!

Good Luck and hope this gives you some ideas.

If you want more respond via email or give me a call 206 851 6781

Sincerely,

Jon R