B cam lobes and timing

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: B cam lobes and timing
From: "Allen Blackmon" <orangedawg@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 22:04:13 +0000
To List,

What's this?  Another timing question from that moron?  Okay, here's the
latest.  I suspect the shop that put my engine together screwed up.  When
the engine is at TDC, what are the positions of the cam lobes for #1 with a
B cam?  Should the cam gear top screw be at 12?  If so, then my lobes are
not at 10 and 2 (more like 11 and 2:30).  Or should the cam lobes be
equidistantly apart from the "noon" position and pay no attention that the
cam screw is not at noon?

If you've read my prior posts, you are aware of my problems starting this
car.  As it is now, I can only get it to run when the ignition is set at
about 35 - 40 degrees BTDC.  Which if my cam gear is off one tooth,
corresponds to about 20 BTDC.  Also, my car backfires and I see a bit of
exhaust coming out of carbs, as well as fule coming back out of both carbs.
In this condition it does not run as intended.  I've checked timing and it
is firing 1-3-4-2 counter clockwise as required.  Also have Gary's EI, so
that is not a problem.

Further, if I turn the crank by hand (w/o plugs) it is very hard at a few
points, so hard that I need a bit of help to get it to move.

In looking in the cylinders, I can see in #1 a slight mark that would
correspond to a valve hitting it.  So it looks like the shop set it up
wrong.

I have moved the cam gear over one tooth.  Turning the engine by hand is
easier than the way it was set up by the shop.  I have not yet turned the
engine over by teh starter as I would like List advice on my issues,
including cam lobe positions.  TIA

Allen