Solex starting help needed

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Solex starting help needed
From: "Allen" <orangedawg@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 16:53:33 -0800
To List,

Okay, the moment has come when I finally get to start the car.  Engine's been
rebuilt, as have carbs, etc.  Everything's hooked up properly (at least it
looks it right now) and I've got spark.  However, I'm not getting the engine
to "fire".  I can smell fuel, but the plugs are not wet.  I've got the cotter
pin for the "accelerator pump" (I think it's called that) per List suggestions
on the bottom hole.  The cotter pin, when looking at the carb in cross
section, is located below the pump lever and spring to keep the lever from
coming off the rod, correct?

I've screwed down the pilot screws and then backed then off first 1 1/4 turns
and then an additional 1/2 turn but that hasn't made a difference.  I've
sprayed a little starter fluid into carbs (goodness, did I really do that?)
and the engine stumbled for about a second and that was it.

What do I do?  I've never had Solex carbs before (these are the early style)
so I'm not sure what to do to get the engine to at least fire.  Please help as
I'd like to try to start this thing this weekend.  TIA!!!!

Allen
1970 2000  #13774
early style Solex's