Bolts

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Bolts
From: "Pat Mahoney" <dynaguy54@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 09:01:20 -0700
Hi Listers,  I hope to shed some light on the bolts quandry.  I have been a
bolt salesman for 25 yrs., dealing with the industrial maintenance industry.
  Imported graded fasteners have created a serious problem for unaware
consumers.  Specifications for grade 5, grade 8 etc. are U.S. specs,
foreign countries have little concern or control for placing grade markings
on substandard fasteners.  Recent studies have shown that 70 to 80% of
imported bolts do not meet the chemical and physical properties associated
with their head markings. Scary HUH! Congress even passed a law in l996 "The
Fastener Quality Act, Public Law #l0l-592" that addresses this problem.
Unfortunately most people are unaware of the issue.  To protect yourself,
and purchase quality graded fasteners ask your supplier these questions.
Are these made in the U.S.A.?  Can you provide me with certification that
they meet  specifications?  Will you provide me with lot#s for traceability?
  Most of the time, you will receive a 'deer in the headlights' look in
response to these questions.  Find a different supplier!
My company carries a line of graded fasteners that exceeds grade 8 specs,
and still has better elongation than grade 5.  I would be willing to put
together a package of fasteners, at a reasonable cost, if someone can
provide me with sizes and quantities.  Hey Bob do you remember what we used
for your 67.5???

I hope this hasn't been too long-winded, just trying to be helpful.

Pat Mahoney   '69 2000