anti-seize and head torque and wierd torqe specs (OT)

To: datsunmike@nyc.rr.com, horne@cs.utexas.edu,
Subject: anti-seize and head torque and wierd torqe specs (OT)
From: "Jim Cawrse" <nqrithjim@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 15:15:06 +0000
Yea, the Volvo sounds strange, but there are
strange specs a lot closer to home.  I did cylander
heads for a freind with a V6 Lumina. (he had allowed
a bad waterpump to leak to the point of overheating,
and blew headgaskets, garage wanted 2,200 to fix, I
said I would do it for 1000)  First of all,
dont ever buy any of the GM clones of this car,
it was the hardest 1000 I ever earned.....

But, in any event, after having the heads checked,
putting in a new waterpump, I was to the point
of torqueing them down, and the drill was something
like "torque to 100lbs, then turn an additional
1/2 turn"

I forgot the exact torque and procedure...but it was
an awful lot of torque, and I was sure I would
snap a bolt somewhere in there.....but I didnt,
and car ran fine...except it took about a million
years to start.

Some wierd thing with the lifters on these cars,
maybe caused by the thick gooy goop that was
the oil by the time the owner stopped it
(I changed oil and filter 3X).....but on
initial start up there was zero compression,
the engine turned over like a darn electric motor...
I was sure I had screwed up something in a big big way.

But, eventually it very slowly started sounding like
and engine and eventually started.  After the oil
changes I went for a test ride, and it ran fine for
about 15 minutes, then residual crap must have
zonked the O2 sensor, and the engine went into
"im confused" mode......after a new O2 sensor I
finally got the car back to him.

Never again will I work on a front wheel drive
GM product!  Not one single part of the
tear down and put together showed any remote hint
that GM concerned themselves with the fact that
some day someone might have to work on these things....

Jim
Chesapeake Va