Re: Electical connector cleaning?

To: Daniel Neuman <dneuman@quark.sfsu.edu>
Subject: Re: Electical connector cleaning?
From: Tom Hendricksen <tom@fransfancies.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 19:53:33 -0700
I work in technical support.  One of our older products used a round DIN type
connector, similar to what you may see for
audio connections, for the power supply connection.  Over time we developed
intermittent power problems due to what is
called fretting corrosion.  Basically a buildup of corrosion between the
contacts.

After about 3 months of testing various contact restorers and automotive
contact grease, which might not be a bad idea on
clean connections, we decided on a produce called D100 by Caig.  You can visit
www.caig.com and then go to their
distributor page to find a source near you or you can contact.

DON'T get heavy handed with this stuff.  It won't hurt anything, but you only
need to coat the contact surfaces.  Once a
customer use D100 on his power connection there were no more power problems.
In addition to cleaning the contact it
seals the connection from air, keeping corrosion out.  We have seen no problems
around plastics, which could be
disastrous in a roadster wiring harness.

Tom
69 2000
Portland