Timing, Smoke & Backfiring

To: "Roadster Mail Group" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Timing, Smoke & Backfiring
From: "audela2" <audela2@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 14:21:45 -0700
We tried adjusting the timing on the 1600 engine today.  Loosened the rear
bolt on the dizzy & using the timing light, set it to about the second from
the top notch on the pulley.  The carbs were balanced & set next.  When the
car went on the street, it billowed white smoke.  We set the timing to the
first notch from the top, and the smoke was significantly less but still more
than it was when the timing was about an inch above the top notch.  We are
also getting backfiring in the exhaust manifold.

What are we doing wrong?

Thanks!
Charlotte & Leonard Hoover
Phoenix, Arizona