Rebuilt seats

To: simon.carson@videotron.ca, Dwight Woodruff
Subject: Rebuilt seats
From: Russ & Lee <rulee@motion.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 21:41:58 -0500
I will download the pictures tomorrow and make my first attempt at e
mailing pictures.
some things I noted you may want to reuse your rubber straps, to do so
only requires that you
undo one end  drill new holes and reassemble.  I used a screwdriver, and
klines to bend the 3/32"
U that secures the rubber strap, then a 5 lb anvil and tinners hammer to
staighten the wire U.
if you use new straps, then you can cut a couple pieces of one old strap
glue them together for the right thickness to replace the rubber bumper
that the seat back supports rest against.
I used new stainless wire to replace the wire  that goes in the edges of
the seat covers to giive them strength against the tabs, or you can
clean the old wire with 3M scrubbing pads.
one thing I didn't think about (DUH!!) you may want to switch the foam
padding from the Passenger seat to the drivers side.  Mine was better on
the passenger side but then only my sons Brittney
rides with me. the drivers side was torn up worse , I just cut pieces of
the 1/2 inch thick
sheet of foam I got from JCW. but you can probably find it at Wally
world in the sewing and
hobbies section.  I sprayed the pieces with ahdhesive and stuck them in
the torn out areas.
I used1/8" thick closed cell foam sheets,  to replace the burlap on the
bottom of the seat
foam, glued it on with thhe spray adhesive, you can find the sheets at
sears they sell them for padding to line tool box drawers with. I was
lucky enogh that my brother was doing his tool
boxes so--.
I removed all the foam padding and found a lot of sufface corrosion on
the seat back under the foam, wire brushed, treated with Rustconverter,
primed and painted with epoxy paint.
and glued the foam back in with the adhesive. I glued a 1/2" sheet of
foam on the top of the seat bottom foam, this may have been too much as
I now sit on top of the seat instead of down in the seat, I also weaved
the rubber staps , they were just layered side to side then back to front.
my seats are very firm right now, maybe they'll loosen a little with use.
make sure you keep the old covers handy for a reference, espesially the
Head rests and be sure of youre' cut before you do it. you will need to
make 2 cuts to go around the headrest supports,
and you have to make the cuts while you are pulling them on .I really
didn't think thhey were going
to fit right but they did.
make sure all your'e tabs are straight, and I used small boxcutter to
make the cut, I just stretched the matreial over the tab, sliced where
the tab was the pushed the material down on the tab with the hammer
handle and bent the tab back down  over the wire in the material.
I bought a bag of sping loaded plastic clamps at wally world 4 bucks for
about 20 clamps,
they came in handy gluing the material on the headrest back, also when I
glued the new cover for the shift plate I made from the back of one of
the old seat covers.
HTH
Russ Southwell 70 1600
does anyone have Nathan Ruffcorns addy? I changed computers and lost all
my addresses.