'64 1600 now on the road!

To: "Roadster Mail Group" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: '64 1600 now on the road!
From: "audela2" <audela2@cox.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Sep 2002 19:44:33 -0700
We did it!  We actually got our first attempt at an engine swap on the road!
It still needs a lot of work; the timing issue needs to be resolved (thanks
for the tips on the location of the rear bolt; we didn't find reference to
that in the service manual we have!) and troubleshooting an oil leak that we
suspect is an oil pan gasket.  It runs rough, but boy was it fun driving it in
the Phoenix rain!

As for the overheating issue; after replacing the contact point and adjusting
the distributor as far as we could with the adjusting screw in front, it no
longer overheats. We replaced the old thermostat with a 180 deg Z thermostat
that we drilled a small hole into.  While we were at it, we replaced the
thermostat tower with an early Z thermostat elbow.  Looks all "purdy" now!
Next on the menu; the nightmare a PO called wiring.

:)
Charlotte & Leonard Hoover
Phoenix, Arizona
'64 SPL310 1500