Re: U20 bearing cap "suitable puller" question

To: John Hogan <mad@madgrizzle.com>
Subject: Re: U20 bearing cap "suitable puller" question
From: Gary Boone <gboone@sisna.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 12:17:13 -0600
John,
I use a bolt to pull the caps out, using the threaded holes in the caps.  For
the metric engines, I use a 10 mm dia X 75 mm long bolt.  Get 8 or so flat
washers too.   I got a piece of angle iron 1.5" X 1.5", about 16" long (or long
enough to span across the width of the engine block).  Drill a hole mid span in
one of the legs of the angle iron just big enough in diameter for the bolt to
go through.  Place the angle across the block, bolstered with some wooden
blocks and run the bolt through hole in the angle.  Turn the bolt to jack the
cap out, using various thicknesses of wood on each side of the engine block and
various numbers of washers between the bolt head and angle iron.  Use more wood
and washers later to raise the angle iron higher as the cap starts pulling
out.  It requires removing the bolt a few times to get a new position on the
cap before it comes all the way out.  Be careful to not bottom the bolt too
hard in the cap because it's a blind hole.
Gary Boone