Re: Undercoatings

To: "snyler" <marc@animalfirm.com>, "Andy Cost" <andycost@att.net>,
Subject: Re: Undercoatings
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 18:28:12 -0500
FWIW, companies that blast cars don't use sand anymore at least the better
ones don't. As a matter of fact with all the pamphlets I receive at various
car shows and swap meets there isn't one company that uses sand. Some use
proprietary blast media and others use plastic media and others use oxide.
Granted, plastic media doesn't remove rust but neither does it warp panels
or fold the edges to hide or encapsulate rust pockets.

The body shop still sands the car down and takes care of heavier rust by
other means; my shop used chemicals and then washed it off.

Media blasting is still the most preferable and cheapest way to remove paint
IMHO. Compared to what a shop would charge to remove paint by sanding and
grinding it's cheap.

While it may be nice to dip a car, that's not an alternative when there are
no shops in your area. The thought of towing a car a few hundred miles and
then returning to pick it up a week or several days later is not a viable
alternative IMHO. In my case the arguement of which process to use is moot
for the above reason and for many other people too.

Mike