Re: Undercoatings

To: John Hogan <mad@madgrizzle.com>
Subject: Re: Undercoatings
From: Thomas Walter <twalter@austin.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2001 16:07:03 -0600
John,

Are you trying to remove the "tar paper" from the inside
floor, or the exterior undercoating?

I found the job to go best when it is COLD! Heating makes
it a giant mess. With a rubber mallet and big flat gasket
scraper it was a matter of "chip, chip, chip... " Small
area's are not to bad, but after doing a few vehicle that
way yous start to dream about stripping everything off
the body and having it "dipped" to clean all the old paint,
bondo, under coating etc.

Never did that with a roadster (street restoration, unless
cleaning an area for rust treatment or sheet metal work).

The Datsun 510's & Mazda Rally vehicles... that was a common
prep job as you wanted everything clean to reweld, light
weight (noise!). If I was lucky everything would come up
in big chunks of material, then hit it with a big wire cup
brush (what a mess, stuff goes every where... but you can get
95% of it off... then finally with the mineral spirits).

For time and effort, the "whole body dipping" is they
way to go. Strip everything, get it down to a shell and
have that, fenders, doors all dipped. Haven't used that
process in years. Places that we did use (20 years ago)
EPA basically banned. Environmental Friendly ones came into
being. Still it is so much nicer to have everything down to
metal and go from there.

If you use a body sander (big 7" sander) have someone walk
you through the "leaded body seams" first. Sander hits, and
it will grab and remove most of the lead before you knew
what happened.

Good luck on the restoration. Also taking a good five rolls
of film of everything, including every little nut or bolt. It
is amazing how much you can forget when the cars are apart only
to later wonder "where did that go?"

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Austin, TX