y bird springs try #999999

To: datsun roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: y bird springs try #999999
From: Morgan Smith <morgansm@bendoutdoor.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 06:44:42 -0800
Sorry folks
It seems that the other post did not work so heres another try.

morgan
ent-Date:
              Wed, 15 Aug 2001 11:08:41 -0400 (EDT)
        Date:
              Wed, 15 Aug 2001 08:07:53 -0700 (PDT)
        From:
              Dennis Hale <dhale_510@yahoo.com>
          To:
              "bluebird list" <bluebirds@bluebirds.datsun510.com>

The question of using T'Bird front springs in the back
of a 510 per the birdman's suggestion has come up
again.
I have researched the things but have not yet tried
them. I prefer to try things before doing these
writeups, but here we go.

The T'bird springs ought to work as well as the
Mitsubishi truck springs but will be stiffer.

I find three different springs were used on the
T'Birds between 1984 and 1986 that ought to be of
interest;
The standard spring is a 3.5" x .640" x 15" @ 415#/",
The AC car spring is a 3.5" x .640" x 15.4" @ 415#/",
The SVO/Turbo one is a 3.5" x .650" x 15.1" @ 462#/".
For comparisons;
Stock 510 springs are  3.6" x .563"  x 11.7" @ 316#/",
"Euro" 510 springs are 3.6" x .563"  x 10"   @ 440#/",
Cut down Mitsu's are   3.7" x .???   x 10"   @ 440#/",
Nissan competitions are3.6" x .610"  x 10"?  @ 670#/".
If we cut down the Ford springs to 10", we ought to
see numbers like;
Standards 625#/",
SVO/Turbos 700#/".
Remember to factor the 3.8 to 4.0 motion ratio in to
get wheel rate and a comparison to your front springs.
Also, the exact cut height will be very critical and
you will likely need to be very precise to get them
just right. Ride height and corner weight variations
follow that same 3.8x factor! A 9" cut will lower the
car 4", generally way too much!

The Ford springs ought to work well for those wanting
a competition ride and who will take the time to do
things really right.
The birdman is right.

=====
Dennis Hale