Re: sagging rear suspension

To: MARamos@smart.com.ph, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: sagging rear suspension
From: "Chris Robertson" <ckrobertson@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 11:16:05 -0600
Hi Manolet,

The springs might be weak, but perhaps not.  This isn't an MGB after all.
:)

More likely the problem is the offest (backspace) of the wheels.  They
center the tires inwards about 1/4" too much, causing the inside edge to rub
during bumps.  It is not off enough to cause any bearing damage.  I wouldn't
replace the wheels if you are otherwise happy with them.   You could use
10mm spacers, but make sure the wheels are secure with them, and check
lugnut tightness often.

Consider the tires.  195/60/14 is a lot wider and a little taller than the
original tire.  If you want to keep the wheels you have and don't like the
idea of spacers, the most simple solution is to use 185/60/14 or possibly
195/55/14 size tires.  This should prevent the rub, give better acceleration
(due to the smaller diameter) and improved handling (due to less weight).

Another brute option is to take a giant hammer and pound in the areas of the
body that are getting rubbed.  Far from elegant, it will disgust any purist,
but it works in a pinch.  Ask any rally driver.

Good luck,
Chris