Re: Solenoid on Intake Manifold???

To: Chris Gray <grayc@rpi.edu>
Subject: Re: Solenoid on Intake Manifold???
From: Thomas Walter <twalter@austin.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 06:53:53 -0600
Chris,

You must be talking about a '70 1600.

The solenoid operated bypass valve allows some
air/fuel mixture to bypass the throttle plate.

Along with the valve is a 3/4 gear switch on the
transmission, and a switch on the clutch. When you
are in 3rd or 4th, and the clutch out, the bypass
valve opens.

Idea was to prevent the mixture from being too rich
when decelerating in 3rd & 4th gear. Not likely
anymore, as more often than not, the transmission
switch would have been left disconnected after the
first clutch job and the valve will be packed with
carbon blocking the small manifold passage.

No need to swap anything out, especially if everything
is working fine.

Cheers,

Tom Walter