Re: Welding (OTish)

To: "snyler" <marc@animalfirm.com>
Subject: Re: Welding (OTish)
From: "res0a38s" <res0a38s@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2001 09:03:10 -0800
Marc,

  Welders each have their own strong points and some will do a few things
well. I am a self taught welder I bought the exact welder you are looking at
by lincoln but back then it was the weld pack 100 I think. I watched the
video and bought a book called performance welding from brookland books. I
went to the scrap yard and bought lots of scrap by the pound and practiced.
I then went on to make a good portion of the custom stuff on my roadster. If
you do buy it spring for the extra money and get the gas conversion kit it
makes the welds much cleaner and easier to paint later.

  Now as for body work. I know lots of people use mig for body panels it is
easy and clean. Make very short welds and let them cool completely before
moving on and you will have minimal warpage. Many metal gurus will tell you
to use gas welding for this type of work because the welds are easier to
work after your done. The mig welds tend to be much harder since they are
much hotter and harden the metal. Of course gas welding patch panels is an
art in itself. I learned on gas and mig is much easier to learn.

  I would recomend streedrodder magazine. There is a column in there called
professor hammer and it is by ron covel one of the most well know metal
workers out there. He has built many famous cars you have seen and he does
most of it from scratch.

  If you have any questions I can do my best to help.

Sean So Cal.
65' Roadster V8'