Starter removal

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Starter removal
From: Marshall Colley <mcolley@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2001 15:44:48 -0700
The best way to access the starter is through the drivers side wheel well.
Remove the left front tire with the car securely jacked up on a jack stand.
You can access the starter through the small opening above the frame.  You
will have to turn and position the starter in a certain manner to get it to
come out through this side slot.

I replaced the stock starter with a gear driven model that some Datsun
companies charge an arm and a leg for, but it's actually a starter from a
Nissan forklift engine that bolts right in. It's much thinner and easier to
maneuver in the tight space and easily fits through the wheel well.

You can call a forklift parts company up and they usually have the starter
in stock for around $75.00.   Check the web for the nearest forklift
supplier near you.  I believe the engine in the Nissan lifts was the Nissan
H30, a 2000 push rod type, like the 1600.  Some owners run these torque
monsters in their Roadsters with the distributor adjusted for higher RPM.

Marshall