Re: water as fuel, not so crazy

To: "Gary McCormick" <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>,
Subject: Re: water as fuel, not so crazy
From: snyler <marc@animalfirm.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 10:47:39 -0600
Gary McCormick wrote

>One can split water into its component hydrogen and oxygen atoms by
>electrolysis - but
>don't go out and retrofit the ol' Roadster with a water tank and a
>generator just yet. I
>think this can be confirmed by someone on the list who remembers their
>Chem and Physics
>better, but I have a feeling that you'd be running at a deficit if you
>tried to burn the
>hydrogen and oxygen to run a generator to break the water into hydrogen
>and oxygen to make
>fuel for the engine - smacks of perpetual motion!
>
>Gary McCormick
>San Jose, CA
The three laws of thermodynamics:

1:You can't win.
2:You can't break even.
3: You can't get out of the game.

Isn't there a Hydrogen fuel-cell Mercedes or BMW doung a tour of the US?
Fuel cells might be a good way of converting intermittent renewable
sources like wind and solar into an easily transportable, on-demand
product.  Well, that would be nice, anyway, and might reduce some of the
pressure to scrap older vehicles like our roadsters.  So, call me an
optimist  :^)

-Marc T.