Re: Tie rods and so forth

To: "Adam Bradley" <ambradley@yahoo.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tie rods and so forth
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 21:18:35 -0400
For ball joints grab the tire on the verticle and try to push and pull it.
There should be no play (providing the bearings are set up correctly).  You
can actually see and feel the BJs move around if they are worn out.

To test for tie rods and the like, try to check for play by pushing and
pulling on them and feel for slop. Also grab the tires on the horizontal and
check for excess play when you move the tires as if steering the car. There
should be no excess play. Also check the idler arm for slop which if worn
can easily be seen when doing the same procedure.

Like I said since you're doing the upper bushings you should disassemble the
front end and change all the boots to polyurethane ones to protect those
expensive fron end parts and at the same time you can check the parts once
again even more thoroughly. You'll know a bad joint when you feel it - it'll
have plenty of slop.

Mike