Re: How to check 4-spd countershaft support bearings?

To: Adam Bradley <ambradley@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: How to check 4-spd countershaft support bearings?
From: Thomas Walter <twalter@austin.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 17:02:16 -0500
Adam,

Does this noise occur while in gear, foot off the clutch
pedal, and driving down the road... if so, time to inspect
the transmission further.

The four speed has a nice bottom plated bolted to
the transmission. You can remove that plate (14 bolts??)
and inspect the countershaft with the transmission in the car.

There should be NO up and down movement of the countershaft.

If you spot little "needle bearings" that are about 1/16"
in diameter, and about 3/4" long, those are the needle bearings.
DO NOT DRIVE the car until they are replaced.

To replace those bearings means pulling the engine & transmission,
but catching it before any gears get chipped or broken will save
$$$ in the long run.

Cheers,

Tom Walter

Adam Bradley wrote:

> I read in Tom Walters' FAQ:
>
> If the 4 speed is making a loud grinding noise, it really should be
> PARKED and inspected. There are two little $10 bearings, and shaft that
> need to be replaced every 60-80K miles. Usually when the clutch is out
> it is an easy job to do (countershaft support bearings).
>

> My transmission is making a minor grinding sound and I can feel a
> vibration in the shifter.  Is there a way to check/replace this with
> the transmission still in the car?  Or do I need to pull the engine and
> transmission?

///
///