Re: CA black plate issue revisited

To: Jim Bunte <jim.bunte@lineup.com>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: CA black plate issue revisited
From: STAN CHERNOFF <az589@lafn.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 09:09:02 -0700
Jim,

I beg to differ with you on the comment that >>is the fact that CA has
ALWAYS been one of the only states to keep license plates on the car
through the life of the car.>>

In fact, the black background plates REPLACED yellow background plates with
black characters.  I was there and saw it happen 'cause it happened to me.
During the years that the yellow plates were current, the state issued an
embossed metal tag to go over the corner to show the current year
registration.

There may also be cars originally sold in other states that were brought to
California during the period that black plates were current issue that
still have the black plates and current registration.

Some people like to have relatively unique things such as 67.5 2000's or 1
carb 1500's or other things that get attention and this could be extended
to personalized plates and original issue plates.

I have seen California cars from the fifties on the street running yellow
plates with a special tag to show current registration.  I do not know the
details of the process.

Plate color doesn't matter much if one has an old beater that is kept in a
garage or under a tree to collect dust and/or clutter with junk stored on
top and inside.

Stan