CA black plate issue revisited

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: CA black plate issue revisited
From: Jim Bunte <jim.bunte@lineup.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 08:29:07 -0700
guys: don9t fixate on the "safety" or 3crime2 issues here  those are merely
flashpoint issues that produce interesting and entertaining email.

governor davis' comment is indeed specious, but what it really comes down to
is the fact that CA has ALWAYS been one of the only states to keep license
plates on the car through the life of the car. other states i9ve lived in
reissue plates on a regular schedule OR the plates travel with you from car
to car as you switch ownership.

not here in my home state  CA is one of the few states where you can divine
the provenance of a car merely by looking at its plate. not always the case
 witness many vintage cars with new plates  but if you see a black plate
on a CA car, you know it9s been here its entire life.

changing that to appease a very small handful of collectors would, quite
frankly, ruin this important car-buying feature we benefit from in CA. if
black plates mean so much to you, buy a rolling chassis and swap everything
over from a clean but white-plated car and no one will ever know the
difference. last time i checked, the DMV doesn9t exactly crawl under cars to
check every VIN location on a vintage car.

i know i'm pissing on a lot of people who really want those black plates,
but in changing this important feature of car provenance, we're tossing out
a great tool to car enthusiasts in the process.

jim bunte
http://www.socalroc.com
1967 1600

///