RE: Cam Reground Question

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Cam Reground Question
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@home.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 21:20:41 -0700
Yes, an A cam can be reground to B cam specs (or most any other specs) but the
base circle of the cam will be smaller than before. This will require doing some
close checking of the geometry between the cam and rockers to make sure the cam
lobe contact patch doesn't run off the pad on the rocker.

I think that should be 270 degrees AND 1/2 inch lift, not AT 1/2 inch lift. Most
cam manufacturers list a duration as measured at a certain lift, but it is
usually around .050". That means start measuring when the valve is open .050"
and stop measuring when it comes back down to .050".

You can verify the cam lift by measuring the height of the lobe and subtracting
the base circle diameter.

Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA

///