RE: FW: Original Tire height

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: FW: Original Tire height
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@home.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 15:01:59 -0700
That's a good article (page 152) and is worth reading. For a 185-width tire,
that rule gives a rim width of 6.19".

John Rastetter, director of product information services for The Tire Rack wrote
the article in answer to a question about running a 245/40-17 Hoosier R3S03 tire
on an 8.0" rim, which is narrower than what Hoosier lists for the tire. However,
other tire manufacturers consider that rim width to be acceptable for that size.
It turns out that the Hoosier is wider than other tires of the "same" size (this
is something I have observed before about Hoosiers).

One point that he makes is worth quoting here, since a lot of people have put
wide tires on narrow rims:

"When you "squeeze" the P245/40-17 sized R3S03 tire onto an 8.0-inch wide wheel,
you reduce its section width and place additional stresses on the tire's
shoulder and tread areas. These stresses can reduce response, stability,
traction and wear, as well as increase the possibility of circumferential
cracking appearing at the edge of the tread."

Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA

///
///