Re: FW: Original Tire height

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: FW: Original Tire height
From: "Chris Doutre" <cdoutre@attglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 08:06:27 -0700
And, as Gordon's diagram shows, "rim width" refers to the inside width. So
my "6 inch" wheels are probably about 5.5 inches or less in reality. I
talked to the guy at Discount Tire around the corner and we selected a
Michelin 185/65-14 as a reasonable street tire. Let's face it, it's gotta be
a lot better handling than the rotted 165's on the car right now. It's
amazing! There's plenty of tread depth left on my old tires, but you can see
strands of nylon exposed down among the cracks in the rubber.

Mike, regarding GRM's 85% rule, that would suggest that a 165 would be the
max performance solution for a 5.5" rim. Hopefully my new 185's will be
suitable for reasonable street operation.

Chris