Re: One tooth off?

To: Henry Bahn <hbahn@home.com>, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: One tooth off?
From: Adam Bradley <ambradley@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 15:39:33 -0700 (PDT)
The gear in the distributor tower can go in at any angle, so can easily
be wrong.  On the bottom, it only drives the oil pump, which is
free-spinning so doesn't line up with anything.  The teeth are all the
same size on the gear so you can put it in as many ways are there are
teeth.  The distributor will only fit in one way as its groove is
off-center.  There are two "correct" ways to have the gear in the
distributor tower, since ITS groove is centered.  If you get it in 180
degrees off, your distributor will point at 4 when it should point at
1, but rotating the wires 180 degrees resolves that problem.

So, in a nutshell, you can't get just the distributor in one tooth off.
 You'd have to have the gear in the distributor tower off by one tooth.

--- Henry Bahn <hbahn@home.com> wrote:
> I put one of Gary Boone's electronic distributors in m R 16 race car
> today.
> (BTW, the workmanship is superb, as are the instructions - definitely
> worth
> the investment -  thanks, Gary).  I used an Echlin  IC83 coil for
> 1979-82
> Datsun - Electronic Ignition, $57.
>
> However, I'm apparently one tooth off on the distributor gear (this
> has
> nothing to do with changing the dizzy it was that way before) but I
> can't
> figure out how to correct it. The gear has a slot (just like on top
> except
> it's not offset) so I think it can only go in one way  - either on or
> 180
> deg. off - therefore I cannot go "one tooth" before or after, or it
> won't
> seat flush on the pedestal (it's really easy to break the cast iron
> pedestal
> by tightening it down if it's not actually seated).  Am I missing
> something
> obvious?
>
> BTW, I finished 19th of 29 at the Blue Grey challenge - with an
> electrical
> miss (see above!) that was so bad that I"m amazed that I finished at
> all.
>
> Reliability is coming - slowly. . .
>
> JH Bahn
> '66  SPL311