detective work question, what will my U20 need?

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: detective work question, what will my U20 need?
From: "Ross Eddington" <reddingt@pobox.une.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 16:37:21 +1000 (EST)
Hi Folks,

This is my first post to the list. I own a 65 tranistion model low
screen with a U20 which somebody at a later date put in. I have peiced
togethor some information about my U20 and would like to try to work
out whats wrong with it. I just recently had both carbs (webbers)
rebuilt and the mechanic told me that (a) the engine was tired and (b)
that it had an oil snore. The thing runs fine and seems to run well but
tends to jump around alot in the engine bay when idling, even though
the carbs have just been balanced. It emits some smoke only when
changing gears or accelerating, or when sitting at lights. Now I am
prepared for the worst, but I do know from previous receipts that the
owner before me had the following done:

(a) exhaust valves
(b) piston rings
(c) complete gasket kit
(d) cam rod bearings
(e) main bearings
(f) timing chains
(g) oil pump pickup strainer

also reprofiled the cam shaft and welded all corroded areas on cylinder
head, straightened and faced head and rebuild rocker pivots and reface.

all this was done not long ago (2 years) but the car has mainly been
sitting since then.

So, what I would try to get an answer for is what the hell is an oil
snore, and what parts should I be trying to source for when this turns
serious. Also, is it possible to rebuild this engine without having to
redo all the stuff that is listed above.

many thanks in advance for any suggestions help that can be offered

Ross
Brisbane, Australia
65 SP10

--