reply: seat belt question

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net'"
Subject: reply: seat belt question
From: "O'Farrell, Fergus" <Ofarrell.Fergus@hitco.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2001 07:24:51 -0700
Daniel,
first thing first.  Tom's 1600 is a very nice car.  Nicely done, some
interesting chrome widgets integrated into the dashboard (PO was 50's caddy
guy, if I remember right).  Second,  seat belt question.  If you mean where
to mount a unit to make the belts retractable, that is a bit tricky.  There
is not a lot of room to mount the coiling case behind the seat, on the
floor. I went to a hot rod swap meet and got 4 point, 2" wide harnesses,
that go into a Y in the back, and I will bolt the end of the Y to the
rollbar threaded holes on the back deck.  (then install the rollbar at a
later date) They won't be retractable (and wearing only one of the shoulders
won't work, I am sure) but much safer.  It was pointed out to me that if you
don't have a rollbar, do you really want to be held upright so you can't
duck sideways, which is a good point.  I remember that Ray Cole had one of
the cleverest belt turning block installations on his rollbar, but don't
remember the details.  Fergus O, 69 2000  (would've snapped up Tom's car if
it had been for sale when I was looking)
From: "Daniel D. Kelson"   Subject:   seat belt question
and i just took a look at tom meyer's '67 1600 and came away with the
following question:  i've
seen full shoulder/lap seat belts installed in roadsters with roll bars,
but has anyone installed shoulder belts without having a roll bar?

///
///