Re: Throwout bearing

To: "snyler" <marc@animalfirm.com>,
Subject: Re: Throwout bearing
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 17:37:22 -0400
It's easy to do at home providing you have a bearing seperator or some sheet
steel/aluminum, some large sockets and a vice.

I open the bearing seperator and place it between the bearing and the sleeve
but do not tighten it down, just tighten it enough to have the bearing
caught in the seperator. Place it loosley in a vice. I then use a large
socket to smack on the sleeve and after a few whacks the sleeve falls off so
be prepared to catch it. I have also used sheet aluminum instead of the
seperator.

To put the new bearing on, I grease up the sleeve and inner bearing surface
and place it in a vice and start to tighten the vice until the bearing is
seated properly. Voila.

It takes about 10-15 minutes.

Mike