Re: weird noise

To: Hoon Kim <hoon@pixar.com>
Subject: Re: weird noise
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 14:50:14 -0500 (CDT)
Try having someone block the end of the exhaust pipe when the
engine is running, then listen under the car for exhaust noise.
You might have someone else rev the engine a bit to see if that
adds noise.

If the noise only happens when the car is moving then I would
suspect the transmission/drive shaft/differential/rear wheel
bearings, front wheel bearings, or brakes dragging.

Good luck!

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner

On Wed, 19 Sep 2001, Hoon Kim wrote:

> OK
>
> I've been getting this weird noise coming from the car. I first
> thought that it was due to my cracked exhaust manifold, but after
> installing a header, the sound is still there. Here is the
> description of the noise.
>
> I mostly notice it coming out of the passenger side when I am driving
> along side a wall for the sound to bounce from. I'm not sure if it's
> a wheel problem or an exhaust problem. I first thought that it might
> be a bad connection between the muffler and the pipes connecting it
> since the sound seemed to come when I accelerated. Now without the
> noise from the cracked manifold gone, it sounds to be more of a
> metallic sound. The sound isn't sporadic, but not completely rhythmic
> either.
>
> My thoughts are it is either a brake/disc problem or an exhaust problem.
>
> Do you guys have any idea of what it could be, or things to look out
> for to narrow down the source? Thanks again.
> --
>

> Hoon Kim
> Pixar Animation Studios
> Emeryville, CA