Re: Coilovers for front of car

To: Don Miller <turbospl311@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Coilovers for front of car
From: John Atchison <jda@srv.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 13:45:15 -0600
Don:

You must be going for top speed  performance with the 3:08 rear end ?

At one time I shortened up a pair of roadster springs
by heating and collapsing them to the desired ride height.
Worked wonderful for awhile........ :>)

But it screwed up the heat treat of the springs
and they slowly collapsed more over a couple years,
until I could no longer get my floor jack under the frame to
jack up the car to change tires,
became a major pain at races,
I either had to park over a convenient hole or low spot
to get the jack under the car,
or drive up on a board to get sufficient jack clearance.

Eventually grew tired of this game and went back to standard
comp front coils.

Learn from my mistakes,
don't heat & collapse springs to get them shorter !

John Atchison
Idaho Falls
69 2000

At 12:01 PM 9/19/01 -0700, you wrote:
>After talking to some of the E-Mod drivers at the SCCA
>nationals, I have been thinking of trying coilovers on
>the front of the car. Or finding some shorter stiffer
>springs for the front of the car. Anyone know the
>compression rate for the Nismo race springs? Also,
>looking for some used rebuildable adjustable front and
>rear shocks (Cal C., any you want to part with yet?).
>
>Let me know!
>
>Don Miller
>68 Turbo V-6 (soon to have Ford 8.8 3.08 ratio rear
>end)
>70 2000
>72 510 daily driver now
>73 510 for sale