Update on roadster in Philly with locking brakes...

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Update on roadster in Philly with locking brakes...
From: David Datsun <datsun_dave@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 09:09:57 -0700 (PDT)

A month ago, I sent a submission where I discussed the
problem my brother was having with his brakes locking
up after just 15 minutes or so of driving. We got lots
of good advice.

Some included:

bad grounds from the engine to the frame so maybe the
brake fluid was boiling

advice to replace the front calipers

advice to adjust the new brake master cylinder just
installed.

Well, this is what we did. Mike installed all new
battery cables and made sure that the engine was
definitely grounded. I went up this past weekend to
have a look, and as I installed the new alternator and
the new front calipers (I think $300), his old cables
looked fine.

We looked at the brake master cylinder; I don't think
you can adjust the rod underneath. There is no
adjustment on it like the clutch master cylinder.

And, like I mentioned above, we replaced the brake
cylinders with all new parts. Previously, we had
installed all new rubber brake hoses.

Mike forgot to order the wheel cylinders so we bled
the brakes and headed out onto Kelly Drive for a nice
open air ride at 1 am Monday morning. MAn,was that
little car running like a top! It also looked so nice
with it's new silver paint... We also had worked on
his "new" 1971 Volvo P1800 all day replacing the front
and rear suspension, brakes, and shocks. So, this ride
at 1:30 am was soooo nice.

Oh, oh, says Mike. The car is locking up again. Crap!
We manage to get the road to an all night gas station.
By the time, we come to a halt, the car is locked up
again. We wait for an hour while the rear brakes cool.

Finally, it's freaking 2:30 am, we start the car and
attempt to drive home without pressing the brakes. I
hold the emergency brake button in and pull up when we
absolutely need to stop.  We get home; open the
garage; drive in; I apply the brakes; it locks up. So,
my question is, is it absolutely the rear wheel
cylinders? He ordered them now.

Thanks.

David Wilson
Washington, DC (waving the flag)