Re: No Power

To: Jack Davis <jrd.boulder@worldnet.att.net>, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: No Power
From: Adam Bradley <ambradley@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 18:38:28 -0700 (PDT)
It might be running much too lean.  Does it accelerate better with the
choke on, even if it's warmed up?  Dieseling can be a sign of it
getting too hot, which running lean will also do.  (I understand carbon
deposits can cause dieseling, too)

As you probably know, to adjust the fuel/air mixture, turn the
adjustment nuts under the carb counter-clockwise (may be easier to
think of as clockwise from above if you're looking down on the carbs
and reaching underneath).

To get the correct air/fuel mixture, start the car and disable one carb
by lifting its piston.  The car should continue to run, albeit poorly.
If the car dies, then your still-enabled carb is too lean; adjust it
until it just runs when the other carb is disabled.  Repeat for the
other carb.

A couple of other thoughts:

The changes you made shouldn't have reduced power unless they weren't
installed/adjusted properly.  Go back and recheck the dwell, plug gap,
timing, etc.  Remember that timing marks are from the right (from the
front of the engine).  If you adjust the timing from the left, you'll
set it to about 4 BTDC rather than 16 BTDC.

--- Jack Davis <jrd.boulder@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> In July I installed a set of Z-Therapy carbs and the car ran pretty
> well but
> I had some hesitation. I replaced the Rotor, Cap, Points, Plugs, and
> wires.
> Now I have no power at all.
>
> The timing is fine. The dwell is at 52, per my dwell meter. The carbs
> are
> balanced.
>
> Sitting at idle (with the air cleaner off and the hood open) when I
> tap the
> accelerator I hear a sucking sound and the engine almost dies. If I
> press
> down on the accelerator the revs climb normally. It only happens with
> quick tap.
>
> The car idles fine. Take it out on the road and as soon as I try to
> accelerate I get a big time hesitation and no power at all. On shut
> down it
> diesels very badly.
>
> I am long on "want too" but short on experience. does this sound like
> a carb
> problem
> (lean/rich) or could I have done something when I installed the
> points?
>
> My wife's '70 1600 is getting painted an mine doesn't run. We are
> both
> needing a roadster fix!!
>
> -
> Jack Davis