Tranny update & More questions

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Tranny update & More questions
From: Robert.Long@CSDInc.com
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 09:05:57 -0600
Hello,

I pulled the plate off the bottom of my 4 speed tranny this weekend.

I found 3 pieces, all exactly the same shape & size.  They are rectangle,
about 1/2 inch long, 1/8 inch tall.
They look somewhat like this:

            _____/-----\_____
           |                         |
           |__|----------------|__|

Any ideas what they are?  Looking into the tranny from below, I don't see
any other pieces that look like this.
In general, all of the gears, etc look real good, but then I really don't
know what I'm looking for...

I'm leaning towards trying to fix the tranny myself.  Are there certain
pieces that should always be replaced
when you open up the tranny?  Or should I only fix what's broken?  Do our
Vendors carry tranny parts?  Or
where else should I look?

Other symptoms.
  With the car off, I can shift without the clutch
  In neutral, the shifter has alot of play
  I've had a grind shifting from 2nd to 3rd

TIA...Robert - 67.5 1600 - Albuquerque