Re: Tranny update & More questions

To: Robert.Long@CSDInc.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tranny update & More questions
From: rlandrum@edge.net (Ron Landrum)
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 18:04:23 -0500
Robert,
        I think what you found is the spring insert tabs that go in the
syncronozer hub and are held in place with a ring on each side of the hub
behind the brass baulk rings.  Their purpose is to index the syncronizer
coupling sleeve when it is in the neutral position.  I imagine that you are
going to find quite a bit of wear or something broken in the 3 to 4
sycronizer since you have been crashing when shifting to 3rd.  It's hard to
imagine these things getting out from under the sleeve. The sycronizers
(especially the brass baulk rings) and the small bearing kits and thrust
washers are the parts that ususally always need replacing. If you have been
grinding long, you need to take a close look at the small gears on 3rd and
4th main gears where the coupling sleeve connects.  You might want to get
someone around your area to help you decide if these need replacing.

        Ron Landrum
        Winchester, TN