rear main seals

To: a roadster list <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: rear main seals
From: Toby B <toby@wolfenet.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 22:37:07 -0700
Bob-
    Well, yes, half of it!  The lower half will come out with the rear
main cap, and you could swap that.  Dunno if it would help, tho...  it
might.  You can't get the new seal up into the block with the crank in,
even if you could get the old one out.
    Yes.  Soak it for a week, if you can.  Then squoozle it into place
as tight as you can- I think I used a ball pien hammer as a compression
tool, and put all my weight on it to squeeze the seal into place.  Then
trim the ends off  flush with a REALLY sharp new razor blade, and put it
back together.  I've used RTV (black?) on the ends before, but I'm not
sure it helps much.   Also replace the side seals (square rubber
hoosiewhatsits) that fit into the cap- they don't usually survive the
pulling process.
Toby B