Hardtop & softtop latches...

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Hardtop & softtop latches...
From: Ken Pearce <kpearce@engr.ukans.edu>
Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 23:58:19 -0500 (CDT)
Well, it was finally time to put the hardtop on my 68-2000 in preparation
for trailering it across the country.  The PO had given me several boxes
of extra parts which to my delight contained an extra set of latches.

I set the top on the car and then proceeded to bolt on the latches.  After
a few hours of messing with their position, I've got two that seem to stay
latched with the third springing back open no matter how I set it.
Adjusting top latches seems to be a black art that I have not mastered
yet.

The solution that I am contemplating is to run a piece of velcro under the
latch so that I can velcro the latch closed and not have it pop open.
There's hardly any pressure causing the latch to fall open, so velcro
should hold it nicely.  Has anyone else come up with similar or
alternative solutions to this problem?  I think that the metal pieces that
are screwed into the inside top of the windshield are aligned well for my
softtop bow, but they don't match up exactly with the hardtop...

Just wondering what other solutions people have come up with...

Also, is there supposed to be a rubber seal or pad between the lower rear
edge of the hardtop and the rear deck?  My hardtop is one with the small
round T-bird style side windows.

Ken Pearce, 68-2000