Re: how many roadster partshouses left?

To: Ross <datsun@istar.ca>,
Subject: Re: how many roadster partshouses left?
From: Mike Poorboy <bitterrootprop@nidlink.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 12:28:54 -0700

Ross wrote:

> There will be fewer by the end of this year if business does not pick
> up.

I agree with Ross to a point on this one. The Roadster is a relatively
inexpensive car in the first place, and the resale value is still low.
Alot
of owners have them for this reason. The other thing is that owners are
starting  to restore them on their own. With help from the internet and
Ebay they are able to find more parts for them. I know for a fact that
the
profit margin on parts is small, unless you packed away a bunch of parts
years ago. Most vendors don't have the capital or the space to do this.

CDM branched out to include almost all early Datsun's a smart move on
Les's
part as there are not that many Roadsters to make a descent living off
of.

I am guilty of not supporting the vendors. I personally had a few bad
experiences with them. I can also find most of the parts they offer at
cheaper prices then they have. I have even sold parts to vendors.

Yes, I think some of us take advantage of our vendors. We ask them
information and then go elsewhere to buy. How do we remedy this
problem ? I think only the vendors as business owners can answer
this. The business world is changing due to the internet and so must
businesses in order to keep up.

Last time I checked Ross's home page on his site there was an MG on it.
What message is he giving here.

> I think I speak for the few that are left. good thing Beck Arnley
> with its 30 year old stock is out there to support our cars....

You answered that by yourself. Beck/ Arnley does have a bunch
of NOS parts that fit Roadsters. I have been trying to get a hold
of a catalog for awhile. There are alot of these parts being dumped ,
because no one knows what they fit. I say lets save the parts from the
trash.

I am sure I will get flamed here, but it is my opinion and you have a
delete key.

Mike
Coming down off my soap box for now.
Nowroc