Re: Thermostat Housing

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Thermostat Housing
From: Gordon Glasgow <glasgow@serv.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 21:13:03 -0700
Chris.Brucciani@ercgroup.com wrote:

> Is the housing different for a the 2000's vs. the 1600's?

Yes, completely different.

> What is that large bolt on top of the housing for?  Could I grind it down
> and make it "pretty"?

That's where someone has desmogged it. There was a thermostatic switch there
that controlled vacuum
to the distributor. When the engine got too hot (from being timed at 0 degrees
BTDC), it would throw
in some vacuum advance until it cooled down. Hopefully the distributor got
recurved in the process.

> What are the proper torque specs for this thing?

I've never seen a torque spec on this. I'd say medium-snug but not overly-tight
(but you know that
already, now). Are you sure the thermostat didn't slip down out of place when
you installed it? It's
possible to crack the housing by overtightening, but it's a lot easier to do if
the thermostat is
out of position.

--
Gordon Glasgow