Re: Work day turns FUN - women on the list

To: "Steve Harvey" <stevenh@execpc.com>, <SPL311RDST@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Work day turns FUN - women on the list
From: "Fred Katz" <fredkatz@2xtreme.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 22:50:18 -0700
Steve,

I didn't have to wish. Back in '68 and '69 there was a gal that took auto
shop with me in Balboa High School here in SF. All us guys treated her as
an equal, and that she was. Unfortunately things weren't equal for her, as
our school had a mandatory dress code for females (they couldn't wear pants
to school and had to wear dresses), so she had to constantly change into
coveralls and back again for her other classes. Also, it was open campus
for guys (free to go off campus) so we could test drive the cars off
campus, but it was closed campus for gals during school hours. I'm glad
things have changed over the years so gals don't have to put up with that
nonsense any more. Right now: 1 daughter in college, 1 daughter in high
school, and they wear pants whenever they feel like it.

Fred
BADROC

----------
> From: Steve Harvey <stevenh@execpc.com>
> To: SPL311RDST@aol.com
> Cc: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: Work day turns FUN - women on the list
> Date: Tuesday, July 25, 2000 7:02 PM
>
> Laurie,
> As I read your great comments I was trying to figure out if it was
written by
> Mgearhead(Malegearhead) or a Fgearhead (Femalegearhead)! Your points are
well
> recieved on this end. I wish that we would have had female mechanic
wannabe's in
> my high school power mechanics class. That would have been something in
67!
> Steve Harvey
> Milwaukee
> SPL311RDST@aol.com wrote:
>
> > SOAPBOX TIME:
> >
> > ***Someone wrote.......
> > > Boy this IS a HOOT!   I also got "are there any women on the Roadster
list
> > >  and your not emailing them are you".
> >
> > ***and then this.............
> > >   List,
> > >       Had a bit of a time explaining the phone number
> > >       to my wife with a strange ladies name on it.
> >
> > ***and this........
> > >   Yeah,  I got the who is LauraHoey question and the "oh she likes
> > >  roadsters huh?"
> >
> > OK- this bugs the $-#-!-T outta me. Wasn't quite sure what to say about
it. I
> > guess I'm a bit over-sensitive to ridiculous jealousy like that - I
went
> > through the same thing w/ MY ex, and it ended up really bad. He'd sneak
in
> > and read my email and try to make issues out of things that were
totally
> > innocent. SO.....
> >
> > Open note to wives who might come across this:
> >
> > Yes, there ARE women on the roadster list. Yes, its because we actually
love
> > the cars, and not because we're here to flirt w/the guys. Yes, it may
not be
> > a terribly common thing, but there are quite a few female "gear-heads"
out
> > there. Sometimes it's tough being one of them - you get condescending
> > treatment at the parts houses, looked at as weird by coworkers, and not
> > mention the "equal-pay-for equal-work"  thing when you've worked in the
parts
> > industry. (NOT a happenin' deal - lemme tell you!!) The prevalent
attitude
> > towards women & cars is still very chauvenistic- even in these modern
times.

> > This is a very specialized list, and frankly about the only outlet for
open
> > roadster discussion. Try asking about SU carb adjustment at your next
PTA
> > meeting, or see if your hairdresser has an opinion on an overheating
problem.
> > It's not about chasing down your guys - it's folks bound by a unique &
common
> > interest helping one-another. If we REALLY wanted to steal guys,
wouldn't it
> > be much easier to hop on down to the local nightclub on Friday?
> >
> > As for this particulr group of guys - all I can say is you've done well
> > ladies. They are cheerful, knowledgeable, polite, encouraging, and most
of
> > all respectful towards the women on the list. They have accepted us as
> > "equals" on the automotive level- never treating us as if we didn't
know an
> > oil-pan from a frying-pan.
> >
> > In conclusion, get a grip, get a life, and most importantly - GET
INVOLVED !