tach problems

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: tach problems
From: Dick & Charlotte Dowdy <dowdy00@in-tch.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 11:23:01 -0500
I  recently purchased a 66 roadster with a 75 L 20 B engine in it . The
engine has electronic ignition on it . The transmission is a 4 speed. I
Just got the engine , head and carburetor overhauled . I installed  a
electric tach to keep a eye on the break  in on the motor .The original
tach was of course cable driven. The directions on the tach said to cut
these two certain wires on the back of the tach to make it work on a 4
cylinder and tape them which I did. The tach has 4 wires on it.

1) green wire to distributer

2) red wire to ignition

3) Black  wire to ground

4) white wire to dash lights

I connected the green wire to the negative side of  coil.

I tapped the red ignition wire into one of the wires going to the
ignition switch that went off when the key is turned off

I  grounded the black wire with another that was already going to
ground.

I connected the white wire ( dash lights ) onto one of the wires that
were the dash lights on the old tach. There were 3 dash lights on the
old tach

On all my connections I used the right kind of wire connector .

The problem I have is that when I turn on the headlights the tach stops
working . I tried hooking the dash light wire to a wire that was hot not
in the light circut but the tach would not work at all then.

I just hope I haven't broken any Nissen copywrite laws.

Any ideas would be helpful

Dowdy 66